When are captions required?
Video/audio content is required to have captions when:
- The media is publicly available
- A student in your course has an accommodation requiring captioning
When are captions recommended?
Captions are recommended on all course related video/audio materials for a number of reasons:
- Access for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Access for students that have other disabilities such as cognitive disabilities or listening comprehension issues
- Improved experience for non-native English speakers
- Better listening comprehension for all users
- Helpful in environments where sound cannot be played or audio quality is poor
- Captions create searchable content