Course sites can be configured to display content in one of five different formats.
- Grid format: In this visual format, section content is hidden and replaced with short titles and a grid of images—one for each section. Section content is revealed in a “lightbox” when an image or title is clicked.
Grid View Example
Grid View Topic Block
- Topics format: Sections are organized by topic names, which can be renamed.
- Weekly format: Organized week-by-week, with a clear start and finish date. Moodle will create a section for each week of the course.
- Single activity format (not frequently used): With only one section, this format allows instructors to add only one activity to the course.
- Social format (not frequently used): Oriented around one main forum that appears on the main course page.
To select a different course format type:
- Click the gear menu, and then click Edit settings.
- Expand the “Course format” section and select the format type from the “Format” drop-down menu.
- For Topic and Weekly formats, instructors can set a course to display one section at a time rather than all sections at once, which is the default. Select Show one section per page from the “Course layout” drop-down menu.
- Click the [Save and display] button.