Transfer Email and My Drive Files to another Google Account
- If you don’t already have one, create a Google account to transfer the files to.
- To copy content that other people have shared with you, make sure those files have been added to your My Drive and are not only available in “Shared with me”.
- Sign into your Lafayette Gmail account and go to takeout.google.com/transfer.
- Enter the email address of the destination Google account.
- Select Send code.
- Check your personal Gmail account for the confirmation email, and in the email select Get confirmation code. A new tab will open with a code.
- Return to takeout.google.com/transfer and enter the code, and choose Verify.
- Choose the content you’d like to copy and select Start transfer.
Details about the process:
- The copy process usually takes a few hours, but can take up to a week depending on the amount of content.
- Copied files may appear in batches in the destination Google account during the copy process.
- When the process is complete, you will receive a confirmation email to your personal Gmail account.
Viewing copied files:
- Gmail: Copied Gmail content will appear with a label containing your Lafayette account name and the date you started the copy process.
- Drive: Copied content will be in a folder labeled with your Lafayette account name and the date you started the copy process.
How copied files are different from the original files:
- You automatically become the owner of all copied files on My Drive. The owners of the original files will remain as-is at Lafayette.
- Copied files are not shared with others even if the original files are.
- Comments are copied, but revision history is not.
Download all of your Google Account data
Google Takeout allows you to download any of your data associated with its services.
- While signed into your Lafayette Google Account, browse to takeout.google.com.
- Select the data you wish to download, one of the available formats, and click Next Step.
- Choose your preferred delivery method, Frequency, file type, and size, then Create export.
- Once the export is completed, it will be delivered to the specified location.
Fore more information, see Google’s instructions for Downloading data.