Create an ad-hoc group
- Select the Groups icon from the “waffle” in the upper-right hand corner of any Google Workspace application, and near the top-left, click Create Group.
- Note: all manually created groups will have “.group” appended to its name (e.g., email@example.com)
- Enter the info and settings for the group.
- See Google’s settings reference guide for information about group settings.
- Click Create group.
- Wait a few minutes for your new group to become active before sending a message to it or adding members.
See Google Group Roles and Permissions for more information on group membership and permission levels.
Manage your group's settings
The following settings can be accessed by clicking Group settings at the bottom of the left menu:
- General: Change the group’s name, description, and email settings.
- Posting policies: Determine who can moderate content and post to the group.
- Email options: Set features to be included in every email.
- A subject prefix: This helps identify messages as group email by adding a prefix, e.g., [ITS-group], to the beginning of each email subject.
- A footer: This can help users access subscription settings and find the post in Google Groups.
- Auto replies: This allows you to respond automatically to members and non-members of the group.
- Member moderation: Set who can manage members and modify roles in the group.
- Delete group
Information about your group
The About section of the left-hand menu shows basic information about the group, such as the owners and privacy settings.
Add members to your group
See Adding People to Your Google Group for more information.